Sure, Pizza stems from Italy, but it’s more popular in the United States. Don’t believe me? According to a recent survey completed by Mintel, it is estimated that 93% of Americans that eat pizza eat it at least once a month.
Any party, dinner, and breakfast are always incomplete without pizza. It’s so popular that in 2001, it even reached the International Space Station by the Russian Space Agency.
But still, many people often ask, “How many slices in a large pizza?”
So, in this article, I’ll clear out this confusion and shed some light on the standard pizza size and how many slices it has. I’ll also share the right size and slices in an extra-large pizza. Additionally, you’ll get some great tips for ordering the right pizza size for your party.
Stay with me and you’ll discover all the secrets!
Quick Start Guide:
Approximately how many slices in a large pizza? The number of slices in a large pizza varies depending on the restaurant or pizza chain. Generally, large pizzas are around 14 to 16 inches and can be cut into 8, 10, or 12 slices. Some pizzerias may even cut a large pizza into 16 slices to make them smaller for sharing.
What is the Standard Size of a Large Pizza?
Before I answer this question, let me be clear. The standard large pizza size depends on the eatery. For example, the large size pizza at Pizza Hut is 14 inches. The same is for Domino’s Pizza, Papa John’s, Little Caesar’s, Marco’s Pizza, Jet’s Pizza, Blaze Pizza, and Papa Murphy’s. Costco’s large pizza on the other hand is 18 inches!
However, Papa Murphy’s also offers a family size pizza that is 16 inches. Typically, a 14-inch pizza serves around two to three people and a 16-inch pizza serves three to four people on average.
In short, the size of the pizza largely depends on your region, location, and sometimes, the restaurant’s slicing practices and the thickness of the crust. Thicker crust pizzas tend to have fewer slices than thin crust pizzas.
How Many Slices in a Large Pizza?
So, the answer to this question highly depends on the restaurant’s choice. Some pizzerias cut their large pizzas into eight slices while others cut them into ten and twelve slices.
Additionally, some pizzerias offer Extra large pizzas and Jumbo Pizza, so their sizes vary accordingly.
Pizza Size Variations
Who measures the size and counts the slice of a dish as yummy as a pizza?
Well, you do! Especially if you’re hosting a pizzarty (Pizza Party) with kids, adults, and teenagers, and you’re stuck with all the different sizes of pizza.
In this section, I’ll clear all your doubts about the different size variations of pizza. To satisfy everyone’s tastebuds, pizza comes in all shapes and sizes.
Heck, I’ve even eaten a star and heart-shaped pizza that tasted like nothing but heaven… so yeah!
However, for the sake of this blog post, I’ll stick to the standard pizza sizes:
- Small pizza: 10 inches in diameter and gives you around 6 slices.
- Medium Pizza: 12 inches in diameter and gives you around 8 slices.
- Large pizza: 14 inches in diameter and gives you around 10 good sized slices.
- Extra large (Jumbo): 16-20 inches in diameter and yield 12 hearty slices.
It is also important to note that the method of slicing affects the size and slices of pizza. For instance, if you plan to cut your pizza into wedges, every slice will be larger than if it’s cut into thin strips. Similarly, if you cut your pizza into squares (heaven forbid), you’ll get more slices than if you cut it into wedges.
Not only that, but the crust type also determines the number of slices of your large pizza. Thicker crusts pizza with wholesome toppings will have fewer slices than thin crust pizza with few toppings.
How Many Slices In An Extra Large Pizza?
I get it—No amount of pizza is enough! And if a large pizza cannot satiate your cravings, why not try an extra large pizza?
At parties and gatherings where you’re hosting a group of pizza lovers, it’s always a great idea to arrange extra large or jumbo pizza where everyone enjoys a hearty meal.
That’s because an extra large pizza is around 16 to 20 inches in diameter and provides 12 good slices. Of course, that depends on where you order your pizza from and how you slice it. Overall, an extra large pizza would suffice for 5 to 6 people. So, you may also enjoy the leftovers for breakfast or lunch the next day.
How Much Pizza Should I Order?
How much pizza is too much pizza? Honestly, there’s no one size fits all answer to this question.
It all comes down to how many people you’re hosting and whether you have something else on the menu. Whatever the case is, you’d never want to underestimate and leave your guests longing for more food, right?
So, a good rule of thumb is to always overestimate and make sure everyone gets enough pizza.
- Typically, if you’re hosting adults, I recommend keeping three slices of pizza per adult.
- For children, it all depends on their appetite. Young children tend to have one slice while older kids may have two slices. After all, it all depends on their appetite.
- To determine the size and quantity of pizzas you want, multiply this by the expected number of slices.
According to this calculation, 2 big pizzas must be ordered to serve 7 adults (each will consume 3 pieces of pizza).
Also, if pizza is your main course, it’s always best to order an extra meal for your guests. Ultimately, it’s you who will decide how much pizza should you order, keeping all the other possibilities in mind. If you’re making your own home-made pizza, then try our delicious recipe.
Quick & Easy Tips for Ordering The Right Pizza for Your Pizza Party
So, you have finally chosen pizza as a main dish for your party? Cool! Let’s help you order the perfect pizza for your gathering.
- First of all, determine the number of people attending your party. This will allow you to order the perfect size and servings.
- Now, access the appetites of your guests. Ask yourself: Are they coming straight out of school, work, or home? This will give you an idea of how hungry your guests will be.
- As far as the toppings are concerned, think harder. Not everyone likes the same toppings. Therefore, to be on the safer side, choose the toppings that are loved globally. For example, most Americans love pepperoni because of its smoky and spicy flavor. Do your own research and choose the right toppings for your pizza party.
- Additionally, ask your restaurant to cut slices according to your preferences. For instance, if you’re hosting a party of four to six people, ask your eatery to cut the pizza into 12 slices.
- Complement your pizza with a drink to quench everyone’s thirst. You may choose soda, water, or beer. But, fresh lime with pizza does wonders! (Chef’s kiss!)
- Extra cheese doesn’t hurt anyone! Always order extra cheese to add more flavor to your pizza and bind the toppings to the crust.
- If you’re counting calories, it’s recommended to get a thin crust because it has fewer calories and is light on the tummy. Also, you can add extra vegetables to ace that crunchy texture and healthy touch to your pizza.
- Always consider your budget while ordering pizza from anywhere. I always advise you to go for deals and discounts to save some money!
Final Thoughts on Slicing Up Your Delicious Pizza Pie
Now you know how many slices in a large pizza are sufficient for your party. So, it’s time to prep for it and make a guest list. However, I always recommend overestimating the meals and plan accordingly. Also, don’t forget to add drinks and other savories to entertain your guests. Keep in mind that the style of pizza you make (or order) can really effect how many slices you get. One great example is Brooklyn style pizza, which tend to be on the large or extra-large size. If you just want a really fast and easy pizza fix, then why not grab a hot pocket. We’ll teach you how to make these like a pro in this article.
How many slices does a large pizza have at Domino’s?
The large Domino’s pizza has 8 slices that feed around 3 to 5 people.
Is Pizza Healthy to Eat?
That’s depends on what you put on it, how much you eat and a few other factors. If you want to know more about how much carbs and such that pizza has, then check out this helpful article.
Is a large pizza cut in 8 or 12?
Large pizzas are usually cut into 10 to 12 slices and serve around two to three adults, depending on their appetites.
How much pizza do I need for 8 adults?
Here’s a simple calculation for the right pizza serving:
Multiply the number of guests by 3 then divide it by 8 = The amount of pizza you need for 8 adults, which is 3 pizzas for 8 adults.
How do you cut a 16-inch pizza into 6 slices?
Though a 16-inch pizza should be cut into 10 slices if you really want to cut it into 6 slices. Here’s how to do it:
- Use a pizza cutter or a sharp knife and make straight cuts through the center of the pizza. Divide it into two halves.
- Make a second cut parallel to the previous one, separating each half into four equal pieces.
- Finally, make six slices of the same size by slicing each quarter in half diagonally.
How many does a 16 inch pizza feed?
It depends on the appetite of your guests and the size of the pizza slices. However, a 16-inch pizza normally feeds around 3 to 5 adults.
How many slices in a large Pizza Hut?
Most large pizzas in Pizza Hut are cut into 8 equal slices. However, it totally depends on the type of the pizza and location of your Pizza Hut franchise.